ETHIOPIA – TOPPAN Gravity Ethiopia, a joint venture between TOPPAN Gravity Limited (TOPPAN Gravity) and the government of Ethiopia, has established a new passport manufacturing and issuance plant in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Established in July 2023, TOPPAN Gravity Ethiopia is tasked with spearheading the production and issuance of passports, IDs, driving licenses, and other government documents.

The joint venture is structured with TOPPAN Group holding a 51% stake through TOPPAN Gravity’s UAE-based subsidiary Gravity Group Ind. L.L.C and another entity, while the Ethiopian government holds the remaining 49% stake via the Ethiopian national printer and two other companies.

The new manufacturing plant will leverage TOPPAN Group’s extensive experience in security printing, data processing technologies, and personal information handling to bolster Ethiopia’s public infrastructure development.

TOPPAN is committed to providing operational support and facilitating job creation within Ethiopia. This expansion not only strengthens our partnership with the Ethiopian government but also holds the promise of creating new employment opportunities, contributing to the country’s economic growth and development.

Given the projected population growth and economic expansion across Africa, there is a rising demand for robust solutions to manage citizens’ data and facilitate access to essential public services.

The TOPPAN Group’s security business, rooted in its founding principles in 1900, has served over 40 countries in delivering government IDs.

Through the joint venture, TOPPAN Group aims to deploy advanced technologies and solutions to deliver comprehensive passport and ID issuance services in Ethiopia, encompassing data registration, database management, and business process outsourcing.

By launching this manufacturing plant, TOPPAN plans to expand its capabilities to cater to the broader African market.

It aims to produce IDs and passports for Ethiopia and potentially for neighboring countries in the future.

The Ethiopian government will collaborate closely to ensure operational designs align with local requirements by establishing pertinent rules and regulations for passports and IDs. This commitment underscores our respect for local laws and regulations, ensuring that our operations are in line with Ethiopia’s unique needs and circumstances.

TOPPAN to launch production of BOPP-based GL-SP barrier film in India

In another development, TOPPAN has announced an exciting development with the upcoming launch of GL-SP, a groundbreaking barrier film designed for sustainable packaging, mainly targeted at the Indian market.

Developed in collaboration with India-based TOPPAN Speciality Films (TSF), GL-SP utilizes biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) as its substrate, offering a versatile and eco-friendly solution.

The global demand for sustainable packaging solutions is on the rise, driven by concerns over plastic waste and the push for decarbonization.

Monomaterial packaging, which relies on a single material for easy recycling, is becoming increasingly popular among consumers and manufacturers.

Recognizing this trend, TSF has introduced GL-SP to enable the creation of monomaterial structures suitable for dry product packaging, a critical step towards achieving genuine recyclability.

TOPPAN Group plans to initiate sales and sample shipments of GL-SP starting in April 2024, targeting key markets such as India, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) region, North America, and Europe.

GL-SP stands out for its monomaterial compatibility, excellent barrier performance, and exceptional transparency. It empowers manufacturers to adopt eco-friendly practices without compromising product quality or consumer appeal.

This innovation represents TOPPAN’s commitment to advancing sustainable packaging solutions to meet evolving market demands.

For all the latest packaging and printing industry news from Africa and the World, subscribe to our NEWSLETTER, follow us on LinkedIn and subscribe to our YouTube channel.