THAILAND – Austrian plastic recycler ALPLA Group in partnership with Thai petrochemical company PTT Global Chemical (GC) has opened the state-of-the-art ENVICCO recycling plant in Thailand’s Rayong province.

With an annual production capacity of 45,000 tonnes (30,000 tonnes of PET and 15,000 tonnes of HDPE), it is one of the largest recycling plants for these plastics in Asia.

Located in an economic zone on the coast of the south-eastern province of Rayong, the plant is equipped with the latest recycling technology and production lines to manufacture high-quality plastic recyclates with approval from the US Food and Drug Administration.

The two companies say the plant will strengthen the region’s circular economy and supply the growing markets with high-quality recycled material.

“Built in record time thanks to the excellent collaboration with GC, this highly modern plant is an important part of our recycling activities in Asia,” said ALPLA Chairman Günther Lehner during the grand opening on 13 September.

PTT Global Chemical said that the plant will reduce plastic waste by 60,000 tonnes while avoiding 75,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions a year.

ALPLA Asia Circular Economy and Recycling Corporate Director Bernd Wachter said: “Demand for recycled, sustainable packaging materials is rising sharply in Southeast Asia, and high-quality plastics have a key role to play here.

“With this new plant, we are now applying our many years of expertise in the treatment and processing of packaging made from post-consumer recycled resins in Thailand.”

ALPLA will supply its production facilities in Asia with recycled material and says that it will foster the circular economy at the local level.

With the plant, majority shareholder GC supports sustainable development in the region, moving it towards resource-conserving business and lifestyles.

The 30,000m² recycling plant was opened in the presence of PTT Global Chemical CEO Dr. Kongkrapan Intrajang and ALPLA recycling managing Director Dietmar Marint, among other officials.

According to The Bangkok Post, the facility will be operated by Envicco, a joint venture of PTTGC and ALPLA’s subsidiary ALPLA Co.

PTT Global Chemical owns 70% of Envicco, with ALPLA Co holding the remaining 30% stake. The plant will have around 180 employees when it begins production.

Dr. Intarajang concluded: “The ENVICCO production plant is part of our long-term circular economy strategy to fully realize PTTGC’s value chain.

“It also has the added benefit of creating jobs within the community while simultaneously aligning with the Thai government’s Bio-Circular-Green Economy Model.”

Liked this article? Subscribe to our regular email newsletters with the latest news insights from Africa and the World’s packaging and printing industry. SUBSCRIBE HERE.